Friday, July 29, 2005

Train is coming

Joe Gregory said "I heard the train coming and I am not one to be in harms way so I decided to hop aboard. When I got on the train I noticed I jumped onto the luxury car." Joe is my chief photographer or I should now say, Chief Video Journalist, and he is finishing up vj training this week. He is optimistic about the change and thinks it is here to stay. I agree.

The second week of training is coming to an end and I have seen some great stories from group two. Reporter, Melissa Penry, shot and edited a few great stories and the photographers wrote and sounded very good. I know you will want to judge for yourselves so check them out on the internet at WKRN. I am curious to hear what you think about the stories so please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I teach news broadcasting in Philadelphia. For years, I have told my kids that Video Journalism is the future. That doesn't mean it's a good thing. I watched several VJ packages on your site and what I was concerned about is evident. The B-Roll shots are remarkable. Your footage for the school package is great. You are an excellent camera-person. The problem is interview shots and writing. Shooting an interview by yourself is awkward for the journalist and makes the person being interviewed look uncomfortable. Many of the interview shots, from the other VJs, are wide or out of focus. The writing is OK, but isn't up to the standard of seasoned reporter. This may be the wave of the future, but it's a trend fueled by dollars and cents and not what's best for the industry.

Good luck,
Rick from Philly