Thursday, July 07, 2005

I was up late last night reading the discussions about the vj transformation at WKRN on TVSpy.com. Since I work at WKRN I was curious to see what was being said. I found that the majority of those who were posting were negative with the exception of oldcbsguy who left very defensive yet positive posts. It was pretty apparent that oldcbsguy is Michael Rosenblum who has been leading the charge for more stations to change to the vj format. Mr Rosenblum has been at my station to observe and his company will be training me and my coworkers.

Let me get back to the negativity that was oozing out of the watercooler on TVSpy. I guess it is human nature to be skeptical of something completely different from what we are used to doing but I would hope people keep an open mind. I on the other hand have been accused of drinking the red Kool Aid that the management has been passing out around here but I try to think positive which does not mean that I am not worried, scared and concerned about the future because I am. I also know there is nothing that will stop the process from happening here, short of a record speed unionization of my cowokers, so I have decided to face this change like a man with my arms out wide to embrace this "vjdom" with a big fat hug and make the best of it.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Hi Todd!! Welcome to the world of blogging! My name is Steph- nice to meet you! I am excited about the changes which are taking place at WKRN. I can imagine that all of you are a little nervous about learning something new and being pushed and pulled into a new direction for your job. I think everything will be good. At the very least, you are going to get some mad skills during training which could help you out in the long run (maybe in a couple years when vj format really hits the news waves). I am a budding vj. I've always wanted to work with cameras and do something like you are doing. I went to a little college, but never got the degree or the experience to get me in the door. Since then, I've basically kept that desire to work in the industry... but moved on to software developing for now. I'm proud to be your first commentor, and I hope to read more about your adventures in vj-land! Keep posting! :)

Unknown said...

hey todd! hang in there. some of us out here will love news 2 no matter what your format.

anyhow, you might want to edit your post about tvspy.net - it's certainly not .net, but .com. i got out of there quickly, but the images may be burned into my corneas for a while. yikes!!

keep up the good work at wkrn, and i look forward to seeing the new format.

Anonymous said...

Prima donna is an easy crutch word to toss around. good luck with the VJ thing BUT it sounds like your company isn't concerned with new and cutting edge rather they want to save a lot of dimes. hope it works for you but count me out. Oh and getting rid of the fleet? RIDICULOUS. they want you to pay for insurance and other costs so they don't have to worry about it. Yikes. And no i don't work in Nashville but i do work in tv.