Friday, July 22, 2005

My first video journalist story is set to run during the 4:30 news cast. I think it turned out pretty good. I am not expecting to win an emmy with the story but I feel it is as good as anything that I have done this year. With practice I will only be able to get better at writing and telling the stories.

The image to the left was taken while I was voicing the Tenncare protest sit-in pkg.

The hours of the training sessions this week have caught up with me and I feel the effects. Besides not being able to think clearly, the muscles in my legs and back are aching. I think I am sore from the long hours of sitting in front of a computer trying to make tv magic.

Check out the blog of Tim French who is one of my video journalist teachers. You will be able read his perspective on what I have been going through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told about your story and wanted to see how your first VJ effort turned out.

It was one sided. The only point of view presented in your story was that of the protesters. Where was the other side of the issue? Not one moment in your story was allowed for any other point of view other than those involved in the sit-in. That is just bad journalism. In fact, it's not journalism at all!

I know it was your first effort but someone there should have stopped that story before it aired. You did the easy thing. Went to the protesters, talked to them, slapped it together with more of an eye to sequencing shots than presenting a more complete picture on a very complex, important issue which affects thousands of people in need of real information.

Instead, you cheated your viewers by not giving them a balanced view. Time constraints are no excuse. In fact, this whole VJ thing is sold to viewers as "better" because you don't have to rush a story to air without it being done "better". That didn't happen. It was business as usual in a local tv news room. Rush out and rush to put something together for air. Doing a "better" job was not the goal. Filling air time was. You made a commercial in support of the protesters and ignored all others who have their own valid view points.

You are supposed to be a "VJ". Not just a "V".

I look forward to seeing future efforts on your part. Hopefully they will include more than one side of a story. Especially if it's on an issue as important as the one you were sent to cover this time.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Your line of 'I am not expecting to win an emmy' disturbs me. You should always, always do your best and think you can do your best. I read your blog before I viewed the story and because of your non-confidence, the story suffered. I would think that (and hope) that your bosses at WKRN previewed your story and gave you some advice before your 'I'm not gonna win an Emmy' story aired.
Love your attitude though.