Sunday, August 07, 2005

Relaxing weekend

I've had a wonderful weekend with my wife and friends. Saturday we went out to Center Hill Lake which is perfect for skiing because it is usually very calm. We did have a mean thunder storm that sent us scrambling for cover. We pulled into a marina just as the sky unloaded a huge down pour complete with very loud and scary lightning bolts. 45 minutes later the storm passed and we had the lake to ourselves with water like glass! Perfect for wake boarding which I am trying to master (I'm not even close). Ember is a new skier but you wouldn't know it by watching her ski. She learned to ski and ride a wake board her first attempt. Pretty impressive! She's a natural. So, I decided to take advantage of the smooth water to learn to barefoot. My friend Derrick gave me a good lesson and I was able to get up and barefoot for about 100 feet. Barefooting is the fun part, it is the unexpected sudden stops that get you. I was being pulled about 38mph so you can imagine what it might feel like to fall. It hurts and you get water under your eyelids. I fell hard twice and was seeing stars both times. It was worth it though! I had a blast and can't wait to try it again!

No comments: