Thursday, August 04, 2005

Ratings

Based on my informal news poll, I have found that people are sick of doom and gloom stories on tv. That is why I think that the video journalist thing is going to work. Every viewer I have told about the idea on the street seems to like it. For the short term, viewers might see more feature stories than usual but only until everyone is fluid with the equipment and able to write stories quickly. Once we are up to full speed, I think the model for stories will be just like the NPPA model. Good stories told through a central character with steady, sequenced shots.
Once the staff is up and running, we will have more options than ever. For example, yesterday, I was asked to run a live truck for some breaking news. Fine with me, I already know how to run a live truck and it was the best thing for the team. I will also be able to jump in as a reporter to help if needed.
While I was writing my story today, Ken Wilson’s story about Metro’s new water spray park played during a newscast and everyone stopped to watch it because the characters he had drew everyone in. Nice job, Ken.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true. That was a really great story. That kid rules. And I saw Joe Gregory's piece on the church fire. Wow, it was very moving.

You guys are doing great. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Todd,

Thanks for the kind words and your assistance over the past few days. You set a great example and I'm trying to follow your lead.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Why can't your new format of news be shot with an better camera (XD, for example)? That's part of the problem I have with the cheapening of news. The more expensive cameras can also be used to shoot other news than "doom and gloom". The XD can be firewired into a laptop just like the prosumer cams you are using.

AJ

Todd Dunn said...

The new format could be shot with a bigger camera. I for one have no desire to go back to a 25 pound camera and all the large support gear that comes with it. I love that all of my new gear combined is not as heavy as a sx beta cam. I don't think many people will be able to see the quality difference between cameras either.

Anonymous said...

It's not always the gear...it's the operator.

Anonymous said...

sigh.


AJ

Anonymous said...

I for one will never be able to understand the hang up people have over 'camera size'. In any other tech field, we are delighted when things get smaller and better. Hey, when I listen to music I would never use an ipod. That's not for real music. When I want REAL music I listen to this 1992 Sony Walkman." "Hey, that small cellphone is fine for amateurs, but when I want to call the governor, I use this great BIG dial phone. He would never take my cell phone seriously." "Hey, that little thin laptop is a joke. When I want a REAL computer, I use this gigantic IBM Mainframe." What is it with you guys?

Anonymous said...

It's not so much the cameras, but the short lenses that come with them. If those cameras are so great, why isn't the sports department using them? Sure, they are adequate for getting up close and personal, but I hope you never have to shoot spot news with them when being held far back.

I'd love to have one of WKRN's new cameras to shoot home videos of my kids.

AJ