Thursday, September 29, 2005

I'm Back

I'm sorry for not getting back to my blog sooner. I left last Thursday on a trip to Louisiana for hurricane Rita coverage and did not have internet access. I became spoiled on the Katrina trip because we had a wifi hot spot at the satellite truck we were using. During Rita, News 2 sent our own satellite truck for us which was awesome.
I know some of you might be wondering how the vj concept was implemented on this trip. News 2 sent three vjs, Neil Orne, Alex Lucas and me. Our main goal was to help our sister station KLFY in Lafayette, Louisiana. We also did group live shots for many of the Young Broadcasting stations (a live shot where more than one station across the country tunes in at the same time to have Neil do a live shot for them). We arrived in Lake Charles, LA as one of the first tv crews in the area and were even there before the fire department was back in the area. The first thing we did was find a live location that offered shelter from the tropical force winds. We found a wind break at the Lake Charles Civic Center which later became the hq for the flooded fire department and also media central as more than a dozen sat trucks later showed up.
Once on the scene, Alex ran the camera for Neil's live shots while I gathered video from the area. We ended up doing live shots for the rest of the day. On Sunday, Neil and I worked together and Alex did a few vj stories that were really good. Alex is a good writer and I hope to be as fast as he is when I'm writing my stories. Since our primary goal was to assist our sister station, we did a lot of live shots on the trip and we didn't have the chance to split up and each turn a story.

With a few more hurricane trips under our belts, Neil and I will have the drill down. We come back with better ways to get things done after each trip. If you get a chance go to Neil's blog and read his perspective.

1 comment:

John said...

I'd be curious to read how it works when more than one VJ tackles a story. How do you break up the duties? Who does what?

It's been years since I worked as a one-man-band but I now own my own camera and make mini-documentaries with it. It's more than a little satisfying knowing you can do it all yourself. But for daily news, I'd rather do one job or the other.