Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Talking with my hands


http://www.wkrn.com/node/23896 -MP story link-
Here's a picture from taken from a standup I recently had in a story. My wife cracks on me for talking with my hands (me and Tony Stewart) during the few standups I've done. I included the story in the above link so you can check it out for yourself. On a serious note, what do you think about reporters who use their hands? Distraction or not noticed? Give me some feed back when you get a chance.

The story above is about the 551st MP Company stationed at Ft. Campbell. The 551st recently won the honor of being the Best MP Company in the entire Army. A big accomplishment. I was able to do a story on some training they were doing to help them get ready for another year in Iraq. Probably the biggest threat these men and women will face are from roadside IEDs or improvised explosive devices. The soldiers tell me the IEDs are hard to spot because the streets are lined with trash which make great hiding places for the bombs. Even with all the dangers they face the soldiers and their families do believe they are making a difference with the missions in Iraq.

On an unrelated note, we had some VIP guests at our station Tuesday. GM's from another station group were on hand to check out how we are doing things at News 2. They observed a morning meeting and had a lot of questions about the VJ system. Very interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! My name is Bobby and I live in Texas. I really liked the MP story.

You got some good shots from all point of views. High shots, low shots, etc. I'm guessing that you had wireless mics?

One shot I particuarly liked was the long shot of the guys huddled behind the humvee as a helicopter flew overhead. It wasn't too shaky and it was a shot that stayed with me.

The standup was a smooth transition in the story but I know what a VJ is and I knew that you couldn't do a walking standup because you didn't have a photog.

Good job.
Bobby