Monday, May 01, 2006

P.U.T.

I met some neat police officers today - twelve of them to be exact. Seven from Los Angeles, one from New Jersey, two live close to Buffalo New York, one from Tennessee, and the last is from Texas. I met them near Leipers Fork as they were riding bicycles across the state of Tennessee. For the last 15 days they have been riding their bikes across the United States from Venice, California headed to New York City. The riders are all police officers riding to raise awareness of the upcoming Police Unity Tour. The tour helps raise money for the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington D.C. where officers who are killed in the line of duty are honored and their name is added to the memorial.
May 14th is National Police Officer Week and police and their families will converge on the Nations Capital as the names of officers killed in the line of duty during 2005 will be added.

Once the crew I met today arrives in New York City they will have a memorial service at Ground Zero then they will continue to ride with about 600 more officers as they ride the Unity Tour into Washington DC. Middle Tennessee has about a dozen officers heading to DC.

Here are a couple of sites you can check out. The x country blog is very well done and the Police Unity Tour has a web site. Enjoy! Here is a link to the story which aired Monday night at 10pm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd:

My name is Gregor and I am a College student from Germany that is writing his graduate thesis on „video journalism in USA and in Germany“. I found your Blog a helpful source for my research. Do you think you could find the time to answer me some more questions during a phone interview. That would be of great help for my study. I hope to hear from You.

Todd Dunn said...

Hey Gregor, drop me an email at tdunn@wkrn.com and we can set something up.t