Friday, May 26, 2006

Close to home

http://www.wkrn.com/node/25337
I had to cover a house fire the other day. The fire was started by lightning when a storm rolled through the area. I've cover dozens of fires over the years so this was no big deal except for the fact the house on fire was my neighbors. Every one was fine and the firemen put the flames out quickly. Unfortunately, the water caused the ceiling to fall in and the roof will need to be completely torn off and rebuilt. They will be homeless for about 6 months.

I was in the middle of another story about 3o minutes from home when I got the call. Wayne and Kitty house might be on fire. The only number I had for them is a home number which had no answer. I quickly wrapped up my story and headed to see for myself what was going on.

When I turned onto my street there were two fire trucks, two ambulances and a police car on the scene. I had already told the station what was going on and that I was going to check on my neighbors so I jumped out to see what had happened. After talking with neighbors for a few minutes the station called me back and asked me to shoot a walk-n-talk about what was going on. A walk-n-talk is usually 1:45, one take description of the scene. The idea is to make it feel as if the viewer is right there in the moment seeing what I'm seeing. Check it out at the link above.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez Todd, what a spectacular journalist you have become. Full of insight and able to capture and communicate both facts and emotions. Congratulations! Nice jog
Rosenblum

Anonymous said...

I hope this reaches you. I was just reading items on the Perry March case- his father claims that mental illness runs in the family- his wife committed suicide. It was not his wife who was ill- as a matter of fact people in his community believe that Art March killed his wife- burned down his house- and was a complete nut- he told people he was CIA- FBI- and all of his children are con artists. They recieved help from everyone- poor little March babies- they are all frauds and to think that Art March will be getting 18 months in prosion- and he probalaly killed his wife, and helped his son conceal the crime- justice is not being done. His sister and brother hid the kids and lied to everyone- should they be trusted- yet Ron holds a position on a water authority.

cameragod said...

Good grief Todd what a pile of crap. You really haven’t got a clue. I can’t believe they actually let garbage like that on air. If you can’t cover something as easy as this what good are you?

Anonymous said...

I liked it Todd. Well done.