Thursday, October 05, 2006

News 2 Making News Again

News 2 was featured on National Public Radio on Thursday during the show, All Things Considered. Reporter Audie Cornish was in the station a couple of weeks ago and did a story about video journalist. Here is a link to n p r where you can hear the story which aired on the radio.

I got to take a ride on the Aluminum Overcast, a restored B-17 Bomber and boy was it cool. I interviewed Leonard Mika, a ball turret gunner, who flew on a B-17 during WWII. His last flight on a B-17 was April, 1945 when he flew a bomb run from England to Berlin.

Today was the first time in over 60 years that he was back on a B-17 and he had a great time. I will have the story about the Leonard and the Aluminum Overcast on the news on Friday. When it hits the internet I will post a link so you can check it out.

Oh yeah, if you live in Middle Tennessee you can see the Aluminum Overcast on display and even pay for a ride at the Lebanon Municipal Airport.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Dunn,

The story on NPR this past Thursday was very interesting. I am not familiar with your news station and was thus very intrigued by the story. I am a senior business admin major at Lee University in Cleveland, TN. This semester I am taking a class on organizational behavior and have to give a presentation as well as write a paper about empowerment in the work place. WKRN's conversion of an entire newroom into reporters sounds like empowerment in the most unique form! Since you are obviously passionate about your work, I thought that you may be able to lend insight into the concept of empowerment.

Do you feel empowered by this change? Has this change made a positive impact on WKRN? On you? Why or why not? How do you value your job now compared with before? Is there a WKRN news story which documents this change?

I truly admire you and your coworkers for taking on such a difficult task. Any information you provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Stephanie Niven
stephanieniven4@gmail.com

Todd Dunn said...

I do feel empowered by the change. I went from mostly working with someone elses ideas to working on my own ideas. I think the change has made a postive impact on News 2 in the form of positive stories. The change has been good for me becasue I'm learning a new skill. I have more options now than ever before as far as the next step in my career.