Monday, April 03, 2006

Dyersburg


I'm spending the night in Dyersburg, TN after covering the devastating tornados that ripped through the area. Twenty two people were killed in Tennessee, 19 of them in Dyer county. I saw one house were two people were killed and if I had not been told a house used to be there, I would not have know by driving by. Most tornado damaged homes have a pile of ruble laying next to where the home used to stand but today the only sign of a home was a patch of dirt and a few bricks. There was not even debris scattered in the field. The whole house was blown completely out of the area. It was amazing!
Another observation about tornados that always amaze me is the randomness of destruction. One house completely destroyed where the house next door is untouched. Driving into the neighborhood on Cobb St today and I passed two boys playing outside with tennis rackets and driving over the next hill to see officials who are searching for bodies of several people missing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the destruction from the tornado's. It is very heartbreaking to know that some ppl are looking for a place to live ,while I am sitting in a cozy home enjoying myself. I hope and pray that they will find the ppl that are missing and everyone will be okay, but unfortunaly that may not be the case. I pray that everyone will get a home soon and things will work out for the best!